Image & Recipe Courtesy of the American Heart Association.
A lunch or dinner dinner made to share. Courtesy of the American Heart Association. Serves 4.
- 1 lbs lean ground beef, or white meat chicken
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 chopped medium jalapeno (optional)
- 4 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 15.5 oz canned, low sodium kidney beans
- 14.5 oz canned, low sodium diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup jarred salsa
- Spray large saucepan with cooking spray. Cook beef & onion over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, while stirring. Transfer to colander and rinse with water to drain excess fat. Return beef to pan.
- Stir in bell pepper, garlic, chili powder & cumin, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients & bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover & cook for 20 minutes.
- Optional – serve topped with low-fat grated cheese, a dollop of fat-free sour cream, sliced avocado, snipped cilantro or chopped green onions.
- Calories 297
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 62 mg
- Sodium 288 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29 g
- Dietary Fiber 7 g
- Sugars 8 g
- Protein 31 g