Green Bean Casserole
Serves 12 people.
Image courtesy of Pixabay.
- 1 ½ pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch salad dressing mix
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup crushed high fiber cereal
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Boil green beans in lightly salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and place in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Use a saucepan to heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, dry dressing mix, salt, and pepper. Whisk in milk. Stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Stir for 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Remove 1/2 cup of the onion mixture & set aside.
- Cook mushrooms in skillet until tender. Stir into sauce mixture. Pour over beans in dish.
- Mix together the rest of the onion mixture & crushed cereal. Sprinkle on casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
Per 1/2 cup: 87 cal., 3 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 6 mg chol., 162 mg sodium, 12 g carb. (2 g fiber, 5 g sugars), 3 g pro.